Boston PTG Chapter Logo

Home

Officers

Members

Meetings

For Sale

Newsletter

Library

 

BOSTON PIANO MAKERS

Home of a Hundred Makers
Henry F. Miller

Antique Piano Shop Link

 

Very few piano makers contributed to the American piano industry at large as much as the renowned Henry F. Miller Piano Company. Established in 1863, Henry F. Miller built high quality, expensive pianos in Boston for well over a century. In the 19thCentury, Boston was home to a large population of old world craftsmen who had immigrated to the United States from the old country. These craftsmen possessed amazing skill in woodworking and piano building, and Henry F. Miller was in a position to take full advantage of this amazingly skilled workforce.

Like most other Boston firms, Henry F. Miller enjoyed a reputation for building truly exceptional pianos. In the early years, Miller produced a full line of uprights, squares, and grand pianos. They also built a line of “Pedal Pianos”, which were conventional pianos equipped with a full pedal board to aide in organ instruction and practice.

They introduced their player piano line after the turn-of-the-century, and built player pianos until the Great Depression era. In the 1920s, Henry F. Miller became part of the Continental Piano Company. Later the company became part of industrial giant Aeolian-American Corporation. The Henry F. Miller brand continued to be built by Aeolian until the 1980’s.

Today, Henry F. Miller is being built in China and marketed in the United States as an Asian import piano.

 

 

 

Web Design ©2016 - Van Dine Design - Boston PTG

 

CONTACT US 

We welcome your interest in the PTG!

Chapter meetings are held the
3rd Tuesday of the month

 

Member Spotlight Boston Piano Makers Skills Workshop