Boston PTG Chapter Logo

Home

Officers

Members

Meetings

For Sale

Newsletter

Library

 

BOSTON PIANO MAKERS

Home of a Hundred Makers

chickering logo - link

Chickering and Sons || Wikipedia Link
Chickering and Sons was an American piano manufacturer located in Boston, known for producing award-winning instruments of superb quality and design. The company was founded in 1823 by Jonas Chickering and James Stewart, but the partnership dissolved four years later. By 1830 Jonas Chickering became partners with John Mackay, manufacturing pianos as Chickering & Company, and later Chickering & Mackays until the senior Mackay's death in 1841, and reorganized as Chickering & Sons in 1853. Chickering pianos continued to be made until 1983.
Jonas Chickering made several major contributions to the development of piano technology, most notably by introducing a one-piece, cast-iron plate to support the greater string tension of larger grand pianos.

Chickering was the largest piano manufacturer in the United States in the middle of the nineteenth century, but was surpassed in the 1860s by Steinway. In 1867, Jonas's son Frank Chickering had the Imperial Cross of the Legion of Honour, then one of the world's most prestigious non-military awards, bestowed upon him by Emperor Napoleon III for services to the art of music, one of more than 200 awards the piano manufacturer garnered over the years.
The company became in 1908 part of the American Piano Company (Ampico).

The Chickering name continues to be applied to new pianos today, as a brand name of the Baldwin Piano Company.

     

Chickering & Mackay

Chickering & Sons (not to be confused with Chickering Brothers) was the first actual piano factory in America, established in Boston in 1823 by Jonas Chickering with partner James Stewart. Originally called Stewart & Chickering from 1823-1826, the name was changed to Chickering & Sons in 1826 when Chickering brought in his three sons, Thomas, Frank and George, as partners. Fromabout 1830-1840, Chickering built some pianos under the name of Chickering & Mackay.

John Mackay was a sea captain, and he would export Chickering pianos to South American, and in return, would bring back ships full of sweet smelling rosewood and mahogany for piano building. Mackay was lost at sea in 1841, and we have seen only a handful of pianos bearing the name Chickering & Mackay…apparently they are very rare today. Jonas Chickering died in 1853, and the firm was taken over by his son Thomas.

Thomas Chickering died in 1871, and the firm was taken over by Frank Chickering. The remaining brothers died in the 1890s, as the firm continued to grow and thrive. In 1908, Chickering was sold to the American Piano Company, makers of some of America’s better brand names.

In 1932, the Aeolian Piano Company and the American Piano Company merged to create the Aeolian-American Corporation, and they continued to build the Chickering name for decades.

     

Chickering, Jacob

 

Jacob Chickering (not to be confused with Chickering & Sons or Chickering Brothers) built square grand pianos in Boston from about 1850 until his death in 1887. A distant relative of the more famous Chickering & Sons Piano Empire, Jacob Chickering earned his own, independent reputation for building exceptionally well made pianos.

His was a small firm, and his pianos were never built in very large quantities. Jacob Chickering instruments are exceedingly rare today.

 

 

 

 

Web Design ©2016 - Van Dine Design - Boston PTG

 

CONTACT US 

We welcome your interest in the PTG!

Chapter meetings are held the
3rd Tuesday of the month

 

Member Spotlight Boston Piano Makers Skills Workshop